Sunday, November 7, 2010

No Playgroup Junkies Allowed

Once again, time to get opinionated. My never ending search for anything related to playgroups has found me deep in thought. I came across a group who has an awesome info page. The page clearly stated what a membership and who should be a member.

No playgroup junkies....it reads.........wait a minute.........did I read that right?! Apparently they believe that playgroup junkies are not the proper 'material' for their group. Now I understand the theory in this.....If you are a playgroup junkie (which means you belong to several groups in the area) you are less likely to have time to commit to another group..but you know how I like to play devil's advocate.
 
I've been a huge supporter of the idea that there are never enough playgroups, and there is no such thing as a perfect playgroup for everyone.  This group's purpose is to create a tight knit group of like minded families. They don't want a member coming to say...one playgroup a month and never making a deeper connection with the other members. It's HARD to make a connection with someone you only see a few hours out of the month!
 
So, no playgroup junkies allowed.
 
But here's where I play devil's advocate. Maybe this person is a playgroup junkie because they haven't found the group that fits them yet; could the perfect playgroup be yours? Well, I guess you wouldn't know if you don't allow playgroup junkies. What are they suppose to do: leave the groups they already are finding a place in, just because you want full committment from them? Do you realize what a turn off that is?
 
Let's not forget that playgroup junkies also are PROVEN to love playgroups. Why else would be members of so many groups? What kind of potential does that kind of love have? An active member. A resource of ideas. A volunteer..a leader.

All I'm trying to say if you are going to limit your membership (which you should!) make sure you explore all the possibilities of who that excluded someone could be when they do join. Granted that mom who joined last month whom I had a no so great feeling about has yet to be active. But whos knows...even though my first impressions was spot on, that doesn't mean she couldn't have been my next best friend. She still can be.

I just found that this requirement (IMO) contradicted the very thing they were asking for. Maybe they should have put : WANTED: Playgroup Junkie Wannabes. Perhaps that would have been more clear.

Do you allow playgroup junkies in your group? What do you want from your members?

No comments:

Post a Comment