Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Operation Christmas Child

So last week I introduced the adopt a family program; a program that will allow your group to 'adopt' a family. It's a close personal act of charity because you can see who it effects.  Personally it's charities like these that keep me going because I can see the appreciation; something I know as a mother I sometimes lack in my own household.

A few days ago, Stacie at The Amazing Mess wrote about a charity call Operation Christmas Child.


This is not the first time I've heard of the charity; however, this was the first time I really found out what it was.

This charity works better for my group because it makes it very accessible. Simply set up a play date to do the 'shoebox'. Stacie took it one step further. She included her address. The recipient actually responded! My guess is most would. Those who take the time to appreciate the small things usually don't have much;  and that is who you are reaching here.

So I'm taking on this charity instead this year. Play date at my house; everybody bring a shoebox items to fill it and their $7 (or more donation) to the charity (covers shipping), and I'll buy other items (extra envelopes, stamps, paper). Or people can go in on a shoe box together as well.

I'll give you updates on this project if I can! Tell me about your charities, I would love to feature them as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment