Saturday, May 29, 2010

A good reason why playgroups are benefical

My eldest daughter is a very picky eater. Not too long ago, she would not eat any condiment at all. I could not even get her to try ketchup; something I thought is a childhood staple.

Last Fall we had a play date with a friend from the playgroup. For lunch, we made a picnic spread on a blanket on the living room floor. Chicken nuggets (a staple in our house) made it's way onto the blanket. My daughter's friend looked on over the food with disappointment.

"There is no ketchup." She pouted.

Of course! Just because my child does not eat ketchup does not mean that other children don't. So I happily brought out the container of the ketchup and made a smiley face with it on a plate.

"Where is my ketchup?!" demanded my own four year old. I could not believe my own ears. Not one to argue, I put some ketchup near her reach, and all the kids ate happily.

Now my daughter reminds me "Don't forget the ketchup."

As if I would.

But I think it's safe to point out, that if your child is a picky eater like my own, one way to encourage them to try new foods is to invite a friend over that already likes it. Having a playgroup is even better.

Try a picnic at a park, and each child is to bring one thing they like to eat (that is somewhat healthy) and one thing they do not want to try. You never know they might try it if other children are eating it, and sharing the new foods may introduce yourself to food you have never thought to give to you child in the first place.


Just 'food' for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment