Tuesday, May 11, 2010

May I introduce you to

There are plenty of times I will refer to one playgroup or an other. I belong to several playgroups. Usually the one I write about is http://www.spokanemamas.org/. I have been running this playgroup for over two years. It's gone through quite a bit, but I have to say I'm proud of it.

Right now, we have over 60 moms and over 100 kids. Not everyone is active, but we have a core of members that come at least once a month, some even come weekly. The group does not have a membership fee, as I am not ready to take on that responsibility just yet. We typically meet four-ten times a week.

Out of eveything the group does, my personal favorites are the playgroup activities. I am not a professional, but I teach Isty Bitsy Yoga and baby sign language classes (with the help of my assistant organizer who has experience in sign language). We also have a parachute, and I hope to one day also offer other activities too.

The most popular event is our stroller walks. It is such a simple activity, but it really fills the needs of moms and children alike. Our walks usually take place at the mall. Since most of our children are around stroller age, it suit all age ranges in the group. Moms stroll around chit-chatting, without having to worry about where their children are or what they are doing. Afterward we let them play in the play area or playground (if we are at a park.).

I love the fact that we constantly go to places within the city that are child-friendly. We've been to the children's museum, chuck e cheese, etc. With summer on its way, we'll be making time for pools and splashpads.

There is such a variety of events that we do, it would be impossible to name them all. From time to time, I will talk about these events, share some pictures, and talk about how well they are recieved. I think the thing that makes our group our own is we all have need to join together. It may be for different reasons, but those different reasons fills other member's need in turn. It's amazing how so many moms can come together. So if you are ever wondering what my group is like---well, now you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment