Thursday, October 14, 2010

Charity: Adopt a family

One things that I love to see is how a group of people's lives. You can see it all the time: extreme home makeover (T.V.) , newcasts, habitat for humanity, salvation army, etc. What touches me the most is seeing the individuals gratefulness.

Adopting a family may not be the way to 'spread the love' as widely as possible. But I believe it is the most uplifting, and inspirational. This year I hope to adopt family for Christmas. Next I hope to adopt a family for Thanksgiving, and Easter as well.

Each member in your group can donate a small item or group together to buy larger items. I know one playgroup that donated a Christmas feast, two gifts for each child, a 'mom's care basket' (spa items), and a dad's vacation (recreational items for fishing). They also donated some basic supplies, like toilet paper, baby wipes, diapers, and and Albertson's gift card.

I can't imagine what a wonderful Christmas this must have been for this family. I can guarantee you one thing; they will never forget that playgroup.

So the question remains how to find a suitable family to adopt. Start with your church's officiant. Many of them are already hearing the cries for help as people seek out help from God.  If you can't find one from there, you can contact the salvation army, or other safe harbor shelters for a referral. I make it a point not to pick moms from within the group simply for the fact that I continue to think of this project as a community outreach program.

I would be extremely happy if this year we could provide a simple gift for our family; anything else would just be a plus. I can't wait to see the looks on their faces!

1 comment:

  1. Here is another awesome idea brought up by blogger Stacie at The Amazing Mess. http://www.amazingmess.com/2010/10/spirited-sunday-operation-christmas.html#comment-form

    ReplyDelete