Friday, October 1, 2010

Moms Group vrs Playgroup

I use the terms Mom's group and Playgroup as interchangeable words. Sometimes it is fitting, but for the most part, they are two different types of groups. Do you know what yours is?

A playgroup is a group of children that come together to play. Usually supervised by a parent or many parents, the playtime can be unstructured or structured or a combination. Play groups are often small, meet at parks, homes, and other public places appealing to children. Most playgroups are designed for preschool age children for social interaction until they reach kindergarten.

A Mother's group is focused on the mother. They do not need to meet with children in tow, but can. Some moms groups provide childcare. I joined a mother's group that called themselves a 'playgroup' and I found it quite silly really. These mothers (most of them with babies) would meet at places like coffee shops, or go for walks in the strollers, or meet for lunch with children in tow or moms night out. Notice there isn't much playing involved.

I tried to argue this with the organizer once, and she insisted her group is a playgroup. I still maintain my argument---a playgroup involves play for the children. On the other hand, I do not believe that a playgroup that offers a moms night out is a mother's group.

Granted you can have a combination. Many national mother's groups are also playgroups or have sub-groups which are playgroups. My group is mostly playgroup, but we do stroller walks, and have mom's night out. We focusing on bring in child care to start a regular mom's morning off.

Because moms groups and playgroups are closely related I am not going to 'forbid' any one of you from calling your playgroup from what you wish. When I first started my playgroup I did NOT want a playgroup. I wanted a mother's group. My first true assistant wanted a playgroup. Playgroups are easier to manage and still cultivate friendships for the parent as well. However, my point is that you need to be clear what you are offering your potential members.

Is it a playgroup?

Is a moms group?

Does your member know the difference?

No comments:

Post a Comment