Monday, October 4, 2010

More than a mom's phone

One of the most valuable items I use for my group is my android phone. I'm particularly partial to verizon wireless, so unfortunetly I'm only familair with those apps, but iphones also have simular apps too. I thought that I would list the type of apps I use for my group as helpful resources to your playgroups as well!

EMAIL I use to check my email like 12 times a day. Seriously. I had this constant fear that I would miss an important email. I love how my phone bleeps everytime I have an email.

CALENDAR The calendar app I use is Jorte, and although I'm not completely happy with it ( I would really like to color code my events by grouping, i.e. mom's group, drs. appointments, etc) it is the best calendar app with options. It links with my google calendar, which links directly to my group site as well! It's a win win as far as that goes.

TO DO LIST. My friend has the iphone and uses todoodle, I use Astrid. I love dividing everything into categories, and the reminders, and repeating tasks. It's wonderful for all those little tasks I forget about like calling the venue two days before. I can even use the GPS reminder bells to remind me to drop off deposits for reservations when I'm close to that area.

SOCIAL MEDIA There are plenty of apps out there that are for websites like Facebook, Twitter or the like. For playgroups facebook is a portal for everyday run of the mill contact. It's wonderful.

Finally I had to put this one in here, because I run my group on Meetup.com. It's called Socializer, and it is strictly for those who are members of meetup.com: organizers and members. It makes quick access to the calendar, updates, etc on the website. I can check the RSVPs from my phone, look up directions to my event, etc. It has been a valueable resource when running my group.

So there you have it! The basic apps for running a group on your smartphone! Happy Organizing!

No comments:

Post a Comment