Monday, October 18, 2010

WOM: your best friend

So organizers are always questioning how to get good active members in their group. I have tried every which way; walking in parades, holding a booth, passing out business cards, advertising online; etc. I cannot tell you how much money I have wasted on advertising.

The best way is word of mouth. More on this later this month.

For now let me tell you what has not worked.

  • community events- we did a face painting booth this past month and have yet to receive a request to join. Turn over for about $100. zero. zip. nada. granted they could still join, but I was hoping for a more immediate reaction.
  • business cards, fliers- Out of the past three years...I got one member from this. I have come to find now, however, that is it the way I present them.
  • professional ads- I bought an ad in our local directory- it cost me $230. Four months of the ad being displayed got me one member who joined and never responded to my emails.
  • direct mail- it didn't work. plain and simple.

It is safe to say, that since I like to keep my posts short and sweet, that I am withholding information that could make or break this type of promoting your group, like how many fliers I posted and where, how many business cards I passed out, to who and where, etc. But what I can say is for me, the investment was not worth it.

Word of Mouth (WOM) has been the most powerful. I am not just talking about for new members, but also for finding resources, and getting members more active. If I publicize an event by inviting members verbally, I get more attendees. It seems to get them excited!  I think being that my group is online we seem to have a false security of connection that we forget we need to connect face to face too!!!!!

Either way, look it up. Check out some books from your local library on word of mouth, and do a search for word of mouth strategies. Soon enough your playgroup will explode into an active and growing group!

No comments:

Post a Comment