Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Granting Playgroup Leaders Membership?

I belong to three (Techinically five, but who's counting) mommy groups. Two out of the three I help organize. One I am just a member and plan to keep it that way. I enjoy coming to a group where I didn't plan, don't have responsibilities, and can just.....ahhhhhhhh........

I'm lucky to have a group without responsibilities of organizing. For some organizers, having other organizers; even assistants; feels intrusive.  I have found that it usually happens when you have clusters of playgroups on the same website. It can happen in other ways, but for some reason the 'nieghborhood rivals' flare up for reasons of jealously, competition, and who knows what.

It's valid. Sometimes leaders join for malicious reasons. But sometimes they join for reasons like mine. A break from being the organizer!

Whether you decide to include other playgroup leaders from nearby groups; it is your decision. What you have to decide is what is in danger by them joining in on your group? Taking your event ideas? Taking your members? Dragging down your momentum?

What you really should ask yourself is how can I benefit from this?  Connecting with local organizers allows you bond with someone similular to your position. Expand your resources, your ideas, your enthusaims, and strategies.

Or you might just wind up in a tornado of mama drama. So, without judgement, I will ask you this: Are you willing to stay home when the weather man says the hurricane is coming? Or are you running for the hills? Do you allow organizers in your group? (OK, maybe that was three questions).

No comments:

Post a Comment