Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Attendance Policy

Today we are talking about rules! More specifically Attendance Policies.

Who needs an attendance policy:

  • a group with low attendance or
  • a group with limited space or
  • a group that provides childcare and number of caregivers are limited
  • a group looking to 'sell' their group for sponsors or
  • a group looking for committed members
What is it:

Basically it is a group rule that stipulates a member attend a certain number of events in a certain time period. Some groups have a 'attend once a month policy', and others have a "miss three events and you're out". There is no perfect amount because it depends on your groups dynamics.

How it works:

This the way I worked my attendance policy (I don't use one anymore): My group meets every weekday, so I used to require that members attend once a month. At the beginning of the month I would pull out my member roster and star everyone's name who has RSVPd for the month. Those that have no stars I would write an email reminding them to find an event to come to.

Mid week, I would once again, pull out my roster. This time, I would cross out any names who have already attended an event. and I would bullet anyones name who is RSVPd for the upcoming events this month. I then write another email to those who have not RSVPd to anything, and to those who have not come to anything yet; even if they are RSVPd.

At the end of the month, I cross off all members who have attended an event and email the rest, asking if they are well, and if they need any help, because they have not attended an event and we are worried about them. I also let them know that we've sent out emails this month to them, and haven't heard back, so if we do not hear back within three days, we will excuse them from membership.

Note, I do not like removing members, but it may be a necessary action if you want to meet your group goals. Decide with your leadership team what actions you wish take at each situation.

Attendance policies help foster stronger friendships, and make the group come together. Once you decide what you want for your group, you can decide if an attendance policy is the right way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment