Saturday, September 25, 2010

Diversity!!

One thing that I love about playgroups is the opportunity to teach our children to be accepting of diversity. I've had trouble with acceptance in the past. When I was young, I had trouble being friendly to dark races; especially black. I still have problems knowing how to act around people with special needs.

I've been fortunate enough to meet mothers of different heritages. I met a mom whom came from the Netherlands, a couple originally from England, some from Canada. I've met blacks, Hispanics, Indian, and orientals. I've met mothers of special needs children.

One of my assistants has a sister with autism. I admit the first time I met her, I was uncomfortable (almost three years ago now!). I did my best to set the example for my children. Several months ago, we had a family of a special needs child join the playgroup. Although this is not the first time we had a special needs child join the group; this family stood out. This mother is super-mom. This child is no different that any other child in our playgroup.

I am happy to say that I am now overcoming my uncertainty of diversity. I have found that these special people; mothers, fathers, children; can teach us so much more than just acceptance. They teach us about life. They teach us about happiness. They teach about love. My heart is connected to all of them, and I hope I pass my love for them onto my children.

Participating in playgroups gives a family multiple advantages. Teaching children (and even ourselves) about acceptance of differences is a great one. If you ever have the opportunity, embrace the chance with open arms. Believe me, you'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment