Monday, September 13, 2010

In your town: Petting Zoos!

If you are living in a large metropolis area in the united states, you are bound to have a petting zoo within two hours of your city. I say that with confidence because even though we do have one in our area, the business is not the best with customer service or organization. Trust me, we've tried it three times. Each time the playgroup has left with a bad taste their mouth.

So I have been on the hunt for a petting zoo relatively close to our city. The long search had left me discouraged, and disappointed. Until one day, I was at a local grocery store, and noticed a flyer for "kids day". I noticed it was going to have a petting zoo there. At first I thought it was the local petting zoo, but I figured it did not hurt to ask. The least they could tell me it that it is the same petting zoo we've been using.

So I asked.

This petting zoo is also close to our home, and is not an 'officail' business. But it had everything a petting zoo could offer. The ladies were amazing! This kids had a great time.

A few weeks later I noticed an ad on craigslist about a kids day at a local day care. Kind of like a promotion for business, but nonetheless it also offered a petting zoo. So I once again asked. Turns out the event used someone who had two rabbits, a tortoise, and a duck. OK, maybe it's a horse shy of a petting zoo, but still the kids would have fun.


My point is, you don't have to have an actual petting zoo around to get the petting zoo experience. Keep your eyes peeled, and you may find petting zoos in your own backyard. Ask around; word of mouth leads you to wonderful things.  If all else fails maybe someone will have an uncle or grandparent to raises llamas, and goats. Kids are not really too picky about the animals they see.

No comments:

Post a Comment