Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Warning! Your kids will grow up!

My personal pet peeve of playgroup leaders is designing a playgroup that they will grow out of in a few years. Some may natural grow into changes, but if the group continues to recruit members overtime, eventually your children will outgrow your own playgroup!

I absolutely HATE to see a group labeled "for mothers of babies under a year" or "for the age of two". News Flash; One year goes by quickly as a mother. I mean, come on; it's ridiculous to work hard building a group you will be forced to abandon the following year.

My playgroups are all inclusive ages, provided the mother has one child under five years old. My daughter started kindergarten this year, but I still have two more, and it will be another five years until all of my children graduate from the group.

The other day I sat down to do planning for the fall calendar and I began to roughly layout our field trips. Working the trips around my kindergartner's schedule is a little difficult. I became very sad when I realized that many of the things we have planned for the playgroup she won't be able to attend.

Then I slapped my hand on my head!

Gah! I've done the same thing I complain about in other organizers! My child is outgrowing the playgroup! Not that it is a bad thing. LOL. In any case, I am seriously considering the age limits to be "born in 2005 or under" or "between 2005-2010 and their respective siblings".--that way we never grow out of it. Lame. I know.

So I wanted to give a shout out to all you playgroup leaders who have age limits on your playgroups. Reality check; When your child or you outgrow the playgroup: Are you going to let it go?

No comments:

Post a Comment