Friday, September 10, 2010

Stay at Home Mom's Guide to Playgroups

As much as I would like to share my secrets of succesful organizing, I have an ugly shelfish side. I really do NOT want to share this book with anyone. I cannot tell you how many times I've opened this book.... ok, ok. Enough taunting.

Anyone who even thinks about setting up a playgroup needs The Ultamite Stay At Home Mom's Guide to Playgroups by Carren Joye. It's just a no-brainer. If you look at all the Mom's groups books in bookstores, you'll find very few: this is the best choice.
The other books do not cover the organizing side of playgroups as well. Plain and Simple. You can find many books on activities for children under kindergarten age it's ridiculous. Many 'playgroup' books take these ideas, throw them together, and call it by that name. It may breifly talk about running groups, or whatnot, but it does not go into details. Carren's book is the most detailed book out there.

However; I do have complaints. It doesn't really touch enough on drama. Perhaps that is because Carren's playgroups never reached the multitude that online playgroups are. Perhaps, I and my fellow organizers that I've met so far, are just drama-mamas.

Nevertheless, it's a good jumping off book. I just hope that you still have questions afterward to relay to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment