Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Not a typical Storytime!

I can not tell you, how much I hate storytimes! For the parent of a wildly active child (like myself), you add a free spririted child, one large empty room, and an inexperienced (or uneducated) storytime volunteer it becomes madness.  They just can't keep your child interested the entire 20 mintues or half an hour. However depsite my personal feelings about storytime, they are a great staple to attend with playgroups.  Barnes and Noble in particular.

At some locations, Barnes and Noble includes a costume character once a month (locations may vary). For me the costume character is a perk because I love pictures. The whole idea reminds me of Disneyland in a way.

Before you jump on your calendars to start planning your first playgroup trip, take these tips into considration.

  • Call ahead; you might be able to plan a specail one just for your group
  • Advise the staff that ages of your children's ages and tolerance. (a bunch of two year olds are not going to sit and listen to stories with three or more full sentences on each page)
  • Make sure your members are aware of the enviroment. This is a sit down activity, and some (who have wildly active children) may not realize how much work it will be for them
Remember to take pictures and send them in! I would love to hear about your storytimes!


No comments:

Post a Comment