Thursday, September 30, 2010

Fitted Leaders

I am not the best playgroup organizer. I know I could do so much better than what I do. However, I do know that I was meant to be an organizer. I thoroughly enjoy what I do.  It's only natural for me to take on leadership positions in other mom's group as well, but I know my place.

I am an assistant coordinator for my military MOPS group. I love MOPS, but there are some positions in MOPS I could never fit no matter how hard I try. Discussion Group Leaders is one of them.

A Discussion Group Leader manages about 6-10 moms in a subgroup of MOPS. She initiates conversation, mediates it, maintains it, and help cultivate friendships within the intimate group. WAIT A MINUTE! Am I a walking hypocrite?I can organize a mom's group but I can't innate conversation, mediate it, and maintain it? I can't help cultivate friendships? Sure I can. However, I would have to avoid a few strong personalities traits I have.

Sometimes I'm overwhelming. My personality gets to be too much around certain people. In conversations, I tend to dominate it, not nurture it. I know this; and I am working on it; but it's a natural instinct, so I just don't think that I would do as well as others in the position. My Discussion Group Leader in a different MOPS is pretty quiet, she has no problem with letting others have their say. She also is encouraging, and can jump in if the conversation starts to die. She keeps the group balanced. That is a good discussion group leader, and why I would could not do well. I like the spot light too much.

I could never lead a MOPS group either. My assistant coordinator position is the highest I can ever go, because while I am Christian, I am not someone destined to enlighten others. I'm very opinionated when it comes to religion, and MOPs is a Christian organization, but supports mothers of all religions. I know that I could not fulfill the Christian leadership correctly.

So where does lead to? What I am trying to say is that when you are looking for assistants, you need to know first what personalities and qualities that will fit the role. Sometimes it will be easy; like a finance person must be good with numbers, and balancing a budget. However some positions are a little more tricky. So here are come questions you can use to help figure out selecting your playgroup leaders! Happy organizing!

Questions
What is the leaders duties?
What personality traits is best for this?
Who is going to work closely with them?
What experience do they have?
What is the person's strength and weaknesses?

No comments:

Post a Comment